I just took this quiz during my Peace Corps training and thought it would be interesting to share. According to this report, one third of Americans (adults) would receive a passing grade of “C” or better (9 or more correct answers out of 12 questions). That means, the remaining two third would fail this quiz. Although a majority of Americans (57%) endorses the importance of environmental education, they are not quite environmentally literate as they would like to be. Are you environmentally literate?
1. There are many different kinds of animals and plants, and they live in many different types of environments. What is the word used to describe this idea? Is it…
2. Carbon monoxide is a major contributor to air pollution in the U.S. Which of the following is the biggest source of carbon monoxide? Is it…
a. Factories and businesses
b. People breathing
c. Motor vehicles, or
3. How is most of the electricity in the U.S. generated? Is it…
a. By burning oil, coal, and wood
b. With nuclear power
c. Through solar energy
d. At hydro-electric power plants?
4. What is the most common cause of pollution of streams, rivers, and oceans? Is it…
a. Dumping of garbage by cities
b. Surface water running off yards, city streets, paved lots, and farm fields
c. Trash washed into the ocean from beaches, or
d. Waste dumped by factories?
5. Which of the following is a renewable resource? Is it…
b. Iron ore
c. Trees, or
6. Ozone forms a protective layer in the earth’s upper atmosphere. What does ozone protect us from? Is it …
a. Acid rain
b. Global warming
c. Sudden changes in temperature, or
d. Harmful, cancer-causing sunlight?
7. Where does most of the garbage in the U.S. end up? Is it in…
c. Recycling centers, or
8. What is the name of the primary federal agency that works to protect the environment?
Is it the…
a. Environmental Protection Agency (the EPA)
b. Department of Health, Environment, and Safety (the DHES)
c. National Environmental Agency (the NEA), or
d. Federal Pollution Control Agency (the FPCA)?
9. Which of the following household wastes is considered hazardous waste? Is it…
a. Plastic packaging
c. Batteries, or
d. Spoiled food?
10. What is the most common reason that an animal species becomes extinct? Is it because…
a. Pesticides are killing them
b. Their habitats are being destroyed by humans
c. There is too much hunting, or
d. There are climate changes that affect them?
11. Scientists have not determined the best solution for disposing of nuclear waste. In the U.S., what do we do with it now? Do we…
a. Use it as nuclear fuel
b. Sell it to other countries
c. Dump it in landfills, or
d. Store and monitor the waste?
12. What is the primary benefit of wetlands? Do they…
a. Promote flooding
b. Help clean the water before it enters lakes, streams,
rivers, or oceans
c. Help keep the number of undesirable plants and animals
d. Provide good sites for landfills?
Click the link below to find out answers!